Mohammad Dahlan posted Saturday that Jared Kushner had confirmed an Israeli agreement to halt attacks on Gaza beginning Sunday morning. Less than two hours later he edited the Facebook post, dropping both the agreement and the deadline. [1]
The first line read that Kushner “had agreed with the Israeli side to halt the attacks on Gaza beginning tomorrow morning.” The revised line said only that Kushner was “working with the Israeli side to stop the attacks.” [1] Sunday’s live blogs already treated any halt as a political sentence. Monday’s walk-back is that sentence being withdrawn by the man who uttered it.
A Board of Peace official separately walked back a claim that Hamas disarmament had already begun. Energy Minister Eli Cohen, speaking on Army Radio, denied any deal to stop the assault and said Israel, which already holds about 70 percent of the Strip, should press toward full control. [1][2]
Medics counted nine dead in Gaza on Sunday morning. By afternoon the figure was 13. By evening Palestinian medical sources put it at least at 15. Two people were killed in Deir al-Balah before the hour the halt was meant to take effect. [1] The Israeli military said a strike there targeted two commanders of Hamas’s Nukhba force. [1][2]
Hamas and other factions accepted a 15-point roadmap on Thursday at El-Alamein. The text names the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza as the only body that may hold or store weapons. It does not send those weapons to Israel. Point two requires Israel to cease military operations “fully and without delay.” [1] Hamas has since submitted amendments to the weapons article and is waiting for an Israeli response.
Ghazi Hamad said the movement was making concessions “for the sake of our people.” Egyptian analyst Mohamed Ibrahim, who worked the 2011 Shalit exchange, told The Media Line there is “a clear Israeli rejection of the matter of storing the weapons.” [1]
X circulated Dahlan’s first wording as if Kushner had closed the file. The Jerusalem Post printed the edit. Readers who stayed on the first screenshot missed the only operational fact that survived the weekend: the aircraft did not stand down.
Dahlan, a former Fatah security chief now based in the United Arab Emirates, has no formal role in Palestinian governance. His posts are useful as weather, not as instruments. Kushner did not confirm either version. Israel did not either. [2]
Nickolay Mladenov, the Board of Peace’s Gaza envoy, wrote that verification must be “real and effective” and that Israeli withdrawal must run in parallel with dismantling weapons. Israel’s security cabinet gave only narrow approval for a stabilization force of about 200 troops near Rafah and reserved the right to choose participating countries. No deployment date was set. [1]
The 14-day clock in the roadmap is not a depot-emptying deadline. It is time to write a timetable after all sides approve the document. Israelis vote on October 27. The disarmament sequence, if it ever starts, runs six to eight months. [1] Since the October 2025 ceasefire, Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry has counted 1,222 Palestinians killed and 4,053 wounded in Israeli fire. Those figures are Hamas figures. They are also the only daily ledger the Strip still publishes. [1]
Egypt’s foreign minister spoke Sunday with Mladenov and with U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff. Cairo wants the National Committee inside Gaza, not parked in hotel rooms. Israel has not let most of its members in. [1][3] Reuters, working from Dahlan’s later wording, reported only that Kushner was “working with” Israel. That is the version that survived contact with the afternoon death toll. [3]
-- YOSEF STERN, Jerusalem