Mohammed bin Salman spoke with Donald Trump on Saturday, before the president said he had canceled a planned attack on Iran. Axios, cited Monday by Indian Express, said the crown prince raised concern over large strikes on Iranian energy targets and urged de-escalation. [1]
Two U.S. officials and another source familiar with the call described a request for clarity on the plan of action. A second source said MBS specifically urged Trump not to proceed. The White House and the Saudi embassy did not comment on that account. [1]
Hours later Trump wrote that Iran and other Middle Eastern countries had asked the United States to hold off because "the perimeters of a deal had been agreed to," including a full opening of Hormuz. Axios had already reported the Saudi call. [2]
The Saudi Press Agency confirmed a regional discussion. Iran has denied asking Washington to pause. [1][2]
Prince Khalid bin Salman had already carried Riyadh's preference for de-escalation into meetings with JD Vance earlier in the week, Indian Express reported. [1]
The paper's beat is the sequence. A cancellation framed as Iranian submission arrived after a Gulf call about oil plants. That order is the story.
-- SAMUEL CRANE, Washington