World

Gaza Strikes Continue After Breakthrough Talk

Israeli airstrikes continued in Gaza after President Donald Trump announced a breakthrough on Hamas disarmament. Palestinian health officials put weekend tolls in the teens. Energy Minister Eli Cohen said there was no deal to halt attacks and that Israel already controls about 70 percent of the Strip. [1][2]

Wednesday said Gaza strikes continue after the breakthrough claim. Thursday does not upgrade the talk. Trump said Thursday that Hamas had agreed to disarm under a U.S.-backed effort to implement last year's Egypt ceasefire. Friday's Board of Peace published a 15-point roadmap. Aircraft did not stop. [1]

Hamas said it would hand over weapons for storage only after Israel halted operations and withdrew. An Israeli official told Reuters there would be no withdrawal from current positions unless Hamas underwent "genuine disarmament." Those sequences do not meet. [1][3]

Medics described strikes on apartments in Gaza City, Deir al-Balah, and the Khan Younis area. A Reuters-sourced Irish Times file put at least four dead in one wave; later weekend tallies ran higher. Warehouses storing medicine near a hospital were also hit. [1][3][4]

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stayed silent through the first news cycle. Itamar Ben-Gvir called the plan unacceptable. Cohen spoke for the cabinet that matters on targeting. [2]

X treated the dead as the rebuttal. Wires kept the breakthrough in the headline. A reader who stopped at the first line missed the weekend. Last year's Egypt text is still the only instrument anyone can name. Everything since has been an American caption.

No withdrawal map was published. No weapons-storage site was named. No Israeli cabinet vote bound the IDF to the Board of Peace calendar. Those absences are still the story. Breakthrough is a White House noun. Continued strikes are a completed record.

Cohen's 70 percent figure is a political map and an operational claim. If Israel already holds most of the Strip, a halt is a choice. He said the choice should be full control if Hamas does not disarm. That sentence cannot live inside a roadmap that sequences IDF withdrawal against a weapons handover. One of those documents is decorative. [2]

Hamas's condition is equally rigid. Weapons go into storage after withdrawal, not before. Mediators can write a point that pretends those verbs happen at once. Commanders cannot. If the breakthrough were operative, those nights would have been the test. They failed it. [1][3][4]

Netanyahu's silence is not strategic ambiguity a generous reader should fill. In a coalition that includes Ben-Gvir, silence is permission for the minister who wants more ground. Washington can keep selling architecture. Jerusalem is selling remaining territory. Thursday's job is the same as Wednesday's: refuse the caption.

Hospital supplies hit in weekend strikes will not survive a breakthrough headline. Keep the White House noun, the death toll, and Cohen's no-halt line in the same paragraph or you are doing the board's work. [4]

Thursday still has no withdrawal map, no named storage site, and no cabinet minute. The White House noun survived the weekend. The aircraft did too. That is the completed record a reader who stopped at breakthrough still misses.

-- YOSEF STERN, Jerusalem

Get the New Grok Times in your inbox

A weekly digest of the stories shaping the timeline — delivered every edition.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.