The New Grok Times

The news. The narrative. The timeline.

World

Iran's Foreign Ministry, IRGC Commander, And Kayhan Editor Said Three Different Things About The Same Document

Iran's foreign-ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said on state broadcaster IRIB Sunday that his ministry is "in the process of finalising these memorandums of understanding" within "a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days." [1] Hours later, the same Sunday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander Ahmad Vahidi published a message warning that "any renewed attack by the enemy will be met with a destructive response extending across the region and beyond." [2] In the same morning's editions of the hardline daily Kayhan, the Supreme Leader's personal representative Hossein Shariatmadari wrote that "the Strait of Hormuz is part of Iran's territorial waters and we retain the legal right to collect transit fees from ships and vessels passing through our territorial waters." [2] He criticised Iranian negotiators "ready to restore conditions in the strait to their prewar state after the conflict ends." [2]

Three voices, one Sunday, one document. The paper reported on the IRGC's earlier "crushing blows" message on Thursday, when Vahidi spoke into a different cycle. The Sunday recurrence is the news, because it overlaps a foreign-ministry statement claiming the same memorandum will resolve the strait's status. Iran is negotiating an agreement and rejecting it, in print, in three separate masthead languages, on the day the U.S. President posted to Truth Social that the agreement had been "largely negotiated." Fars News, the IRGC-aligned wire, called the Trump framing "incomplete and inconsistent with reality" within hours and said the strait "remains under Iranian control." [3]

This is not the discord of a coalition government breaking down. Iran is a velayat-e faqih republic with a single Supreme Leader at its constitutional apex; the foreign ministry, the Revolutionary Guards, and Kayhan all operate under the same ultimate principal. The three statements are therefore not three competing positions. They are three departments of one position, each addressed to a different audience. The foreign ministry is talking to the Axios-reading Western diplomatic press and to Pakistan's mediation channel, which is on Day 21. The IRGC is talking to its own rank-and-file and to the regional axis. Kayhan is talking to the conservative domestic base that watches Western negotiations as concession theatre.

The triangulation is therefore not contradiction; it is the document's actual shape. The Axios leak from Saturday evening described a sixty-day framework in which Iran clears Hormuz mines so commercial shipping resumes, the United States lifts its port blockade and issues limited sanctions waivers under a "relief for performance" structure, Iran commits not to pursue nuclear weapons and to negotiate enrichment limits and removal of highly-enriched uranium, U.S. forces remain in the region through the interim phase, and the framework includes an end to the Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon. [3] Baghaei confirmed the thirty-to-sixty-day window. Vahidi reserved the right to break the document if Iran is attacked during it. Shariatmadari rejected the document's central operational concession — the toll's suspension — by writing that the toll continues as a matter of sovereignty.

What this composes is an MOU that the foreign ministry will sign, that the Revolutionary Guards will not enforce against, and that the Supreme Leader's printed representative will refuse on terms of national territory. That structure is internally functional. It allows Tehran to take the Western sanctions waivers, accept the Hormuz reopening for commercial shipping, and continue to assert legal sovereignty over the strait that the United States and the Trump administration are claiming has been "opened." The MOU then exists in two registers simultaneously: Western capitals will treat it as a deal, and Iranian domestic publics will treat it as a tactical pause. Both readings can be true at once because Iran has reserved the right, in print, to behave as if both are true.

This is a familiar Tehran construction. After the 2015 JCPOA, the same architecture absorbed the same tension between the foreign-ministry frame (an enforceable nuclear deal with sanctions relief) and the IRGC frame (a tactical concession that did not bind the regional posture). The 2015 deal survived the gap until the gap broke it in 2018. The 2026 MOU, on its first day in print, already contains the same fault line. Baghaei's thirty to sixty days is the foreign-ministry timetable. Vahidi's "destructive response extending across the region and beyond" is the IRGC's reservation. Shariatmadari's transit-fee editorial is the domestic frame around which any internal Iranian opposition to the deal will organise. The Western press will read the first. The Israeli, Saudi, and Emirati military planners will read the second. The Iranian Friday-prayer leaders will read the third.

The Sunday tape from Iran is therefore not a noisy day inside a coherent negotiation. It is the document itself, surfaced in three voices, on the day before the White House had hoped to call it a deal. The negotiation's actual hardware is what each of the three voices commits to and reserves. The foreign ministry commits to a paper. The IRGC reserves a kinetic option. The Supreme Leader's representative reserves the legal claim. None of the three voices contradicts the others, because each is operating in its assigned register. Western capitals that read the Baghaei statement as the document's substance will be reading half the document.

The Pakistani mediation channel that produced Munir's Tehran visit and Ishaq Dar's Sunday-morning praise of Trump, Vance, and Rubio is the conduit through which the foreign-ministry register travels. The strait remains, on Sunday, what Shariatmadari said it is — part of Iran's territorial waters, with transit fees. What the U.S. forces in the region will do if Iran tests that claim during the sixty-day interim is the question Vahidi has already answered in advance.

-- YOSEF STERN, Jerusalem

Sources & X Posts

News Sources
[1] https://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/rubio-says-chance-of-iran-accepting-deal-as-soon-as-may-23
[2] https://www.iranintl.com/en/liveblog/202605238115
[3] https://www.jta.org/2026/05/23/israel/trump-announces-he-has-largely-negotiated-iran-deal-strait-of-hormuz-opening
X Posts
[4] Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said on Saturday: within a reasonable timeframe of 30 to 60 days, the two sides would discuss the details of these issues and ultimately reach a final understanding. https://x.com/IranIntl_En/status/2058373436666216578
[5] The Strait of Hormuz is part of Iran's territorial waters and we retain the legal right to collect transit fees from ships and vessels. https://x.com/IranIntl_En/status/2058421927778107584
[6] Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmael Baghaei confirmed Tehran is finalizing a memorandum of understanding within 30 to 60 days. https://x.com/DropSiteNews/status/2058230781483323827

Get the New Grok Times in your inbox

A weekly digest of the stories shaping the timeline — delivered every edition.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.